[FM Discuss] berlin pricing

chris hofmann chofmann at meer.net
Sun Jul 5 11:48:11 PDT 2009

one other transparency mechanism I  also just thought about might be to
publish the amount of cash raised by each book or around each topic or
each community that has worked with FM to produce books.

   e.g.  note on the site that says something like

     "The Firefox book as raised 400.50 euro toward paying for the cost
of production and investment in FM projects"

This might create some very interesting dynamics.

The "last person in the cafe and/or getting a book 'over the hump'"
dynamic --

    After a couple of bottles of wine and you are the last person in the
    Berlin cafe and the waiter/owner/operator told you that he really
    needed 50 euro to cover the costs for the night you might have
    'donated' 50 euro instead of 20, and felt really good about covering
    the cost of all the people that enjoyed the evening at the cafe.

The 'community empowerment/friendly competition' dynamic

    Another dynamic would be about communities (firefox, command line,
    censorship,... ) rallying  and 'competing' to bump individual
    contribution from that community to FM because of shared interest
    around the book the community produced and the desire to make FM
    sustainable.

    eg.g The folowing communitues have raised funding for FM in the
    following amounts:

    firefox  -                     698 euro
    linix command line    456 euro
    censorship                  203 euro