[FM Discuss] berlin pricing

cara bell-jones carabelljones at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 5 15:43:34 PDT 2009

Hi,
We've been working on hand bound, screen printed manuals in Berlin and were thinking about different revenue models for these books too...

Idea 1) *Donation*

- Idea: give something tangible in exchange for a targeted donation
e.g. Quarterly promotion drive towards an achievable goal (a book sprint, payment for essential web development etc)
- Books would be 'one-off' productions for each drive. After costs, FLOSS receives approx 3/4 profit)
- Limited edition version (with unique cover) of an appropriate manual, numbered, dated, signed, etc...

Questions:

- Would you buy one? Who for?
- Possible minimum donation costs (perhaps 50EUR)?
- Suggestions for which manuals would work well for this?
- How to decide on the purpose of the fundraising drive?

Idea 2) *Made To Order*

- Idea: set up a catalogue of handmade FLOSS manuals made to order.
- Distribute via dedicated website,  possibly also through selected independent bookshops
- Cover price of approx 20EUR with FLOSS to receive large proportion of profit (5 - 8 EUR?) per book.
- Easily replicable set-up taken to festivals, conferences, sprints etc.

Questions:

- Would you buy one? Who for?
- Thoughts on cover price?
- Suggestions for which books to put into the catalogue? All?

Of course, it could be a mixture with one or two manuals made for general sale as well as a special targeted drive every few months....

will be posting pictures of the handmade manuals to blog this week. feedback on above ideas welcome :)

cara
***