[FM Discuss] berlin pricing

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sun Jul 5 10:59:25 PDT 2009

hey

I think this discussion about 'real costs' is a little confusing. What
is the real cost of creating wikipedia? What is the real cost of
creating fm as it exits now? what is the real cost of linux?

We are not talking about real costs, we are talking about sustainable
models. I really don't understand where 'real costs' comes into it at
all.

The current model of selling books is not creating revenue for new book
sprints or covering any other costs. Pricing books at the same price as
Peach Pit or O'Reilly does will not help - this market is tanking and
the industry itself is asking itself what kind of models could work as
the current ones do not. Book sales as a revenue model is not the
answer. OReilly, for example, is becoming a conference business and is
downscaling staff dramatically. This should tell us something -
specifically it tells us the old model is broken.

We need another model, and certainly the traditional
publishing-distribution-sales model is not it.

adam