[Booki-dev] wikibooks to booki-zip via epub

j at mailb.org j at mailb.org
Sat Nov 21 02:30:43 PST 2009

On 11/21/2009 09:44 AM, Douglas Bagnall wrote:

> I batch tested Jan's wikibooks2epub script against Wikibooks' "featured
> books".  Most of them worked OK.  The exceptions were some that failed
> with unicode errors in two separate places, and one that hung mysteriously.
>
> You can see the unicode errors here:
> http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/epub/wikibooks/fetch.log
>
> It looks like the usual python thing where you need to scatter
> ".encode('utf-8')" around the place.  (BTW, urllib.urlencode does what
> line 48/49 does, though I don't know if it does unicode).

some 2.5/2.6 python differences + some missing encodes
new version installed that should not have those issues anymore

> The "Ada Programming" book used over an hour of CPU time and about the
> same in elapsed time before I terminated it.  I don't know what was up.
no immediate idea, will have a look at it later.

> Some others took a while but didn't use much CPU -- presumably they were
> just waiting on the network.
yes, wikipedia slows request speed down if people download a lot,
getting all books would be considered that.

> The real test is to see how the books behave in Booki, but I'm not quite
> sure how to do that.
right, thats the next step, how do we do this?