[Booki-dev] changes to booki-zip format

Aleksandar Erkalovic aerkalov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:49:15 PST 2009

Hi,

we might put even at this early stage inside of info.json something
like version of
the specification for the info.json format?! better start early with
this things then
later i guess. i know this is something only or services will use for
communication
but i guess it could be good idea.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Douglas Bagnall
<douglas at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> 1. Chapter authorship information has been merged with the manifest.

is username the only thing what we need? if so i guess this is just
fine. it is a list so the order
is preserved.

> * does the TOC structure really need 'nav_id' and 'type' (and if so,
> does 'type' need a constrained vocab)?

good question? how many levels will we have and how many different
types of chapters
will we have? current internal implementation in booki (just like in
flossmanuals) has only
one level and section really does not know anything about chapters. if
we will have
more levels and if inside of "children" you can put something that is
not chapter having
"type" would be good idea i guess. also i don't know what to do with
nav_id when doing
import. at export i would just make it in sequential order. but if it
is something what
is needed later when doing export or something nav_id is something we
could store
somewhere for doing booki-zip export.

> * is the metadata structure too flexible or not flexible enough? (no and
> maybe, in my opinion).

yes maybe... internaly for the first implementation of metadata i did
not implement any hierarchy for
metadada. relational database after all is not the best place for this
things. but btw it is not a problem
as it is specified now to store it in booki.

> "TOC": [
>   {"nav_id": "section1",
>    "title": "INTRODUCTION",
>    "url": "Introduction.html",
>    "type": "booki-section",
>    "children": [
>        {"nav_id": "chapter1",
>         "title": "WHAT IS GSoC?",
>         "url": "Introduction.html",
>         "type": "chapter",
>         "role": "text"
>         },
>        {"nav_id": "chapter2",
>         "title": "WHY GSOC MATTERS",
>         "url": "Testimonials.html",
>         "type": "chapter",
>         "children" [ ... ]
>         }
>      ]
>   }
> ]

so this is the only place where i would like to comment. what kind of
hierarchy do we want to have internaly? just so i can work on the
architecture of it. right now everything is in one level. it is not a
problem to import or export to this proposed format. i think it looks
good
but would like to see what kind of hierarchy i could expect. is there
going to be more then one level of section/chapter?

>  "metadata": {
>    "http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/": {
>      "publisher": {
>        "": ["FLOSS Manuals http://flossmanuals.net"]
>      },
>      "language": {
>        "": ["en"]
>      },
>      "creator": {
>        "": ["The Contributors"]
>      },
>      "contributor": {
>        "": ["Jennifer Redman", "Bart Massey", "Alexander Pico",
>             "selena deckelmann", "Anne Gentle", "adam hyde", "Olly Betts",
>             "Jonathan Leto", "Google Inc And The Contributors",
>             "Leslie Hawthorn"]
>      },
>      "title": {
>        "": ["GSoC Mentoring"]