[Booki-dev] localised numbers in Objavi PDFs, and more

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Sat Aug 21 04:04:09 PDT 2010

hello,

My test Objavi server now localises page numbers and chapter numbers.
Here are some samples, in Burmese, Arabic, and Farsi, respectively:

http://objavi.halo.gen.nz/books/CircumventionToolsmy-my-2010.08.20-22.56.41.pdf
http://objavi.halo.gen.nz/books/XOar-ar-2010.08.20-22.55.17.pdf
http://objavi.halo.gen.nz/books/Firefox-fa-2010.08.20-21.23.56.pdf

Hindi also gets localised numbers, but that server doesn't have a font
for it.

It is possible that this is the wrong thing to do for some of these
languages.  I believe that some cultures prefer (or at least are
accustomed to) Western-Arabic numerals in print, and the traditional
ones just look strange.  But I don't know for whom that applies.

There will be an advanced option in the form to choose numbering
styles, with the default being chosen heuristically.

The page numbers are now also styleable using CSS, and will by default
use the same font as the book body.  Relatedly, Objavi no longer tries
to consume an infinite amount of memory as it adds page numbers, and
is consequently slightly faster and more reliable.

I'll make these changes live soon and tell the main list.

Douglas