[Booki-dev] Problems installing Booki on Fedora 11

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Mon Oct 25 01:40:35 PDT 2010

James.

Im not sure SELinux is a priority. I have set up Booki on debian and
ubuntu with no problems. A lot of apps have issues with running under
SELinux and we dont have the resources to work out what the issues are.
If some friendly hacker wants to problem solve that then cool, otherwise
please file it as a ticket but it wont be a high priority.

As for the image - did you check the settings page for your user? You
can change the image there.

I will try installing Objavi after I get back from Barcelona and see how
tricky it is.

adam

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 18:54 -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> I made some more progress on setting up OBJAVI2.  Unfortunately, I
> keep hitting roadblocks caused by SELinux.   If there is one failing
> in Booki and OBJAVI 2 that really stands out it's that SELinux really,
> really doesn't like the way your instructions recommend setting them
> up.  If I set up the home directory profile so that httpd can access
> them then GDM complains, and if I don't they won't run.  SELinux
> really, really doesn't want you to run your apps out of home
> directories, and I know that my Unix admins at work won't agree to run
> it that way in any case.  There needs to be a proper setup.py.
>
> There also needs to be some suggestion of how to get redis running on
> boot up.  Redis doesn't even have an install target for its make file.
>  It's easy to get past that (copy the four binaries to /usr/local/bin)
> but I still need a good way to run the sumbitch on boot up.
>
> You really need to mention SELinux in the install instructions.  You
> also need to mention that home directories in Fedora are NOT readable
> by other users by default, so you need to change the permissions.
> Finally, in one of your Python modules you're doing an "rlimit" and
> SELinux doesn't like that.  The dialog that tells me that says SELinux
> can be configured to allow that, but the sumbitch won't tell me HOW.
>
> Other problems: OBJAVI 2 only lists free licenses when printing books.
>  If I'm going to use it in the office I need it to say "Confidential
> and proprietary material copyright (C) 2010 Yoyodyne, Inc." or some
> such verbage.
>
> Minor gripe: Booki shows a little picture of the user when you're
> logged in, but every user gets the same picture and you can't put in
> your own picture.  It would be better to have no picture at all than
> that.
>
> I have to say that Booki running by itself and using the shared OBJAVI
> works pretty well.  There's no way in hell you could run it in an
> office that way, though.
>
> James Simmons
>

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Douglas,
> >
> > The http link seems to work OK.  Thanks.
> >
> > James Simmons
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Douglas Bagnall
> > <douglas at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> >> hi James,
> >>
> >> I don't know if it works, but if you click on 'HTTP' link at
> >> http://github.com/douglasbagnall/epub it should give you an http clone url.
> >>
> >> There's also a "download" link which will give you a tarball or zip.
> >>
> >> Douglas

vote for booki in the Open Web Awards!

Booki (the latest FM project - http://www.booki.cc - a collaborative
publishing platform) is in the final of the Open Web Awards.
Great! We are 1 of 3 projects. If we win we get 5000 which we will use
to do a code sprint on a tropical island somewhere ;)

please please please register :
http://www.drumbeat.org/user/register

and vote for us:
http://www.drumbeat.org/project/open-web-publishing