[Booki-dev] Problems installing Booki on Fedora 11

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 08:28:09 PDT 2010

Douglas and Aleksander,

I've been fooling around with Booki and Objavi some more and I've
discovered some things.  I don't know what they mean, but I'm passing
them along.

I'm running Booki from http://127.0.0.1:8000 by using manage.py
runserver.  When I try to do an export Booki displays the progress
bar, which goes all the way to the right and stops.  At that point the
application is hung.  You can try refreshing the page, clicking on
other links, etc. but until you kill manage.py runserver with Ctrl-C
nothing will happen.

The objavi.log shows this:

Starting request for %s
/objavi.cgi
effective query is:
{'license': 'GPLv2+', 'title': 'Thirteen Women', 'destination':
'nowhere', 'max-age': '0', 'book': 'thirteen-women', 'mode': 'book',
'server': '127.0.0.1:8000', 'booksize': 'COMICBOOK'}
templates/nowhere.txt
text/plain; charset=utf-8
nowhere
sync
in get_watchers. method 'sync', callback None, destination 'nowhere'
watchers are set([<bound method Context.log_notifier of
<__main__.Context object at 0xb75d658c>>])
*** Starting new book thirteenwomen-en-2010.10.27-10.11.03.pdf ***
notify_watcher called with 'start'
******* got message "start"
fetching zip from http://127.0.0.1:8000/export/thirteen-women/export

"Thirteen Women" is a book I imported from the Internet Archive.

Now if I try the URL

http://127.0.0.1:8000/export/thirteen-women/export

in a web browser of course nothing happens, because Booki is hung.
If, however, I kill and restart manage.py runserver and THEN use the
URL from a web browser the booki-zip is downloaded and opening it with
Archive Manager it looks perfectly fine.

So my conclusion is that Booki chooses the worst possible time to get
hung.  If it did not get hung there is a good chance that I could
generate a PDF, etc.

Booki is NOT giving me any clues.  booki.log is a zero byte file.  The
console messages from Django look OK.

I could use some ideas on how to proceed.  Is it possible to run
OBJAVI standalone rather than invoking it from Booki?  It seems to be
a Booki issue and if the only thing Booki did was to provide the
booki-zip maybe it would work.

James Simmons