[Booki-dev] Comments on Booki

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Sun Sep 19 01:53:58 PDT 2010

hi Alexandre

>  * you don't need python-simplejson if you are using python 2.6 or
> above. Just use the "json" module.

The booki server runs lenny which has 2.5, so simplejson is needed.
I think the usual way to deal with this is something like:

try:
    import json
except ImportError:
    import simplejson as json

which Booki uses in some places but not everywhere.  It breaks if the
entirely unrelated python-json is installed, but that is rare.

>  * You should favour installing dependencies using the OS' packaging
> system (such as APT) if possible. There are Debian packages for
> python-redis, python-simplejson (now in the core Python stuff, though)
> and python-django.

Until a month or two ago I was able to run Booki using standard Debian
testing's Redis and Django, but it has recently shifted to using Redis
features that aren't packaged anywhere, even in sid.

Shifting to a proper config file should be simple -- we just need to
make settings.py import the values, and can leave everything else
unchanged.  Perhaps we should open a ticket.

regards

Douglas