[Booki-dev] Comments on Booki

Aleksandar Erkalovic aerkalov at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:25:23 PDT 2010

hi,

just a short email from me...

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Alexandre Quessy <alexandre at quessy.net> wrote:
>  * Make sure your package is named "booki", and not "lib". (use from
> booki import ...)

well, package is named booki. it is just that all modules and packages
are placed in directory named lib.
but i guess, what you are saying is that all of them should be placed
in root directory. now, that is very
popular way of doing it, but placing everything inside of lib also has
it's benefits. especially when you have
more then one package/module and you also use lib as location for
local installs (of other libraries or
django apps).

>  * the config file could be a ConfigParser document, not a .py file.
> (XML is fine too. JSON doesn't support comments) In Python, it's
> pretty easy to support many locations for such a file. It could check
> in both /etc/booki.conf the ~/.booki, and some environment variables
> for example. The latter overrides the former.

i guess you are talking about settings.py file. it is how all django
apps works, and it
is how booki (as django app) works also. that is a problem for people
who like to
install everything somewhere in /site-packages/. to have textual config files
is like going from space shuttle to donkey (in this case), so i guess
what could be done,
is to load some other config (whatever it is) from settings.py. that
way, booki could be installed
in site-packages and config  file could be somewhere else.

>  * You should favour installing dependencies using the OS' packaging
> system (such as APT) if possible. There are Debian packages for
> python-redis, python-simplejson (now in the core Python stuff, though)
> and python-django.

and we do. when i need repository/latest stuff, i don't use it. i put
it localy in lib/.
that is the case with redis for instance. i needed latest version with
fixed bugs and
changed architecture.

aco

--