[FM Discuss] hi and update

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sat Sep 22 05:12:57 PDT 2007

hi,

I have been quite quiet these last weeks writing plans and finalising
the Advisory Board etc.

So, now that period is over and I am back into it. There is a lot to
update on...first perhaps, is that the Advisory Board is almost
finalised, I am just waiting for two more confirmations and then I will
post the name here and get the board started with some initial questions
I have for them.

The planning for FM went well. I will post some more highlights here in
a week or so (If anyone wants to know more at any time then you are
welcome to email me :)...but for now some updates:

There has been quite a bit of interest in writing manuals on topics that
aren't strictly free software, so I think we will extend manuals to the
following categories:
1. free software introductionary manuals (what we have now)
2. "--with free software manuals" - these are manuals that are dedicated
to demonstrating how experienced users can use free tool sets instead of
their closed tool set. There is a first manual being written in this
series by Mick Fuzz on Video Distrubtion
(http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/VideoDistribution)
3. free culture manuals - these are manuals on how to use free
software-as-a-service projects. examples would be FLOSS Manuals itself
(http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/Introduction) and Wikimedia
Commons, V2V etc
4. One Laptop Per Child manuals

Other news...there will be a FLOSS Manuals launch party on Oct 19 at
Montevideo in Amsterdam. If you are in Amsterdam please come! Otherwise
we will stream it and we can have a celebratory drink together online :)
I will post the press release here. Even though we have been going for
some months there hasnt been an official public launch so this is the
date to officially push that big green button....

There are discussions happening for a translation of FLOSS Manuals into
Farsi (Persian)...this would not just be a translation but the entire
site would be converted to Farsi and we would find a group to manage
this. The process would include some plugin development for translating
the FM interface and a workflow plugin for translating the content. The
plans are at discussion stage now and I hope they will go well...more in
the next weeks.

Aco will work on an export to DocBook plugin for the remix section.

I will probably present FLOSS Manuals at WikiSym in Montreal in October
but I have yet to confirm that...

At the moment I am working on a GIMP manual if anyone wants to help and
finishing off the FLOSS Manuals manual. Then I hope Brianna and I will
finally both clear our schedules to look at Inkscape and Wikimedia
Commons manuals! (I'm very much looking forward to that).

There is more to update and I'll send that through in the next week or
so. I have a presentation to focus on for the end of next week for FM
for the Digital Pioneers Academy.

ok! ...

:)

adam hyde
floss manuals

free manuals for free software
http://www.flossmanuals.net

mobile : + 31 6 154 22770 (Netherlands mobile)
email : adam at flossmanuals.net