[FM Discuss] wikimania '08 report

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sun Jul 20 14:52:29 PDT 2008

hey Elisa,

> Quicly, when you speak about professionnal writers wrote with
> non-professionnal writers. My feeling.
> Just because i have write a book printed in house of editor copyright i was
> considered like a professional ? And what about people who wrote every day
> good articles on their blog or on Wikipedia or on FM ? ;)

I agree with you about quality - the Inkscape Book Sprint produced
outstanding quality material. All the other manuals in FM also are of
excellent quality.

When I say 'professional documentation writers' it is not a comment on
the quality of the material produced, but a re-iteration of the
distinction between 'volunteers' and 'professionals' used by WikiTravel.
Its not a distinction I agree with and you are right to question my use
of it in relation to FM :) My apologies.

> Writing with others is more rich than writing alone, and faster. I'm actually
> writting a new book (in house of editor standard) with a professional author,
> is rich and faster than writting alone. But i don't have see the difference
> with the booksprint, a part, obviously, the deadline.
>
> I think documents by community is more rich, reflecting more point of view.
> For manual is obviously more rich and give to the reader a good estimation
> for the quality of the document.

Its great to hear you presenting this argument in favour of community
writing.

> If the document writing by several people it's about psicology or etnologia or
> history, the pb is another : each point of view by professional people or non
> professionnal people can be in conflict and if some content was deleted
> because it no receive the agreement by all. I think you see the danger.
> Common vision are just keep. But this problem can found an issue in
> administration the group.
>

> Here is my first reaction.

and a good one :)

adam