[FM Discuss] some events of interest

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Thu Sep 18 23:07:39 PDT 2008

hi,

There are some interesting events coming up. First this in November
(17-19):
"The 2008 Nonprofit Software Development Summit will be the second
annual convening of people and organizations developing software tools,
web applications and other technology to support social justice causes.
Bringing together a diverse range of developers, technologists,
managers, eRiders, integrators, users and other practitioners who
self-identify under the umbrella of roles around “developing nonprofit
software”, the 2008 DevSummit will provide an opportunity both to gather
as a community and to take stock of the field, while building
connections and capacity."

http://www.aspirationtech.org/events/devsummit08

If anyone is near California I thoroughly recommend this event. I went
to an event in Zagreb about Open Translation organised by the same
people and it was excellent.

Also there is the Doctrain event (Oct 29-31):
"[doctrain] includes a special focus on both software documentation
project best practices and translation and localization issues.
Companies that practice what they preach will be showcased. Paid
registration also includes access to 2 days of hands-on software
training workshops—choose from Adobe Technical Communication Suite,
MadCap Software, Author-it, and XMetaL—at no additional cost!"
http://www.doctrain.com/east/

I will be at Doctrain doing a presentation about FLOSS Manuals. It is
the first FLOSS Manuals keynote :) I think it is amazing we have been
asked to present FM as a keynote here as this is a very industry focused
event and it shows we are getting some respect in areas beyond the
not-profit sector. This is very important as free documentation needs to
develop an ecology of participants, including the tech writing sector
(who have been largely absent), and this may be a useful step towards
this.

If anyone is near Boston during the event perhaps we can meet up?

Also, there is a great podcast I learned about yesterday from Douglas
Benford called 'FLOSS Weekly'. Its excellent :
http://twit.tv/FLOSS

The program #39 is especially good (Simon Phipps) but in general the
programs seem too good to be true! Really interesting interviews and
enough FLOSS navel gazing to keep any geek happy for days. Amazing.

Founder FLOSS Manuals
http://www.flossmanuals.net