[FM Discuss] next

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Sep 19 17:55:44 PDT 2008

Having just performed a rapid scan through the individual chapters
of the OLPC manual that was created from FLOSS input, what I sorely
missed was a 'next' capability.  When chapters are combined into a
manual, it ought to be possible to navigate directly from one
chapter to the adjoining chapter.  [Most of the Linux documentation
is organized this way, with 'prev' and 'next' pointers inserted at
the beginning and end of each chapter.  Typically Linux documents
also put an 'index' pointer among these - but when floss manuals
provide the index as a sidebar, that pointer ought to be omitted.]

Seems to me the best way to provide these navigational pointers
would be to have FLOSS itself insert them into each low-level
document.  They should remain "inactive" until the low-level
document gets "combined" into a higher-level "container".

mikus