[FM Discuss] check it out

Lori Nagel jastiv at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 10:41:46 PDT 2009

I second that. I feel so overwhelmed with all that make and configure stuff even though I can write a basic C program. (although as far as I know we don't have a free manual that covers basic C syntax either, well there is K&R, but that is not free as in freedom, as well as numerous tutorials on the web)
I remember a couple tricky things, the including the math libraries with gcc and also the finding x11 libraries on your system. You can literally waste years of your life and not get anywhere if you don't know what you are doing.
We do have free make and configure manuals, but I think the hard part is "knowing what you need to learn" like, what would a person who has never even programmed hello world need to learn before that person could begin to contribute code to the community. Just having a list of all this stuff would be nice, and a reasonable order.