[FM Discuss] GUI for ffmpeg2theora

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Tue Aug 18 01:05:43 PDT 2009

> I see that our ffmpeg2theora guide says, "The advanced functionality
> comes at the price of having to use a command line, as no graphical
> user interface is provided."

> But I also see a GUI frontend, listed at

> http://www.softpedia.com/downloadTag/theora+converter

We had a similar discussion, concerning the python GUI script provided
by ffmpeg2theora itself.  However, any GUI that does not come bundled
with ffmpeg2theora for every platform supported, is a nuisance to
document.

The python script won't easily work on windows, on linux it also is not
installed to /usr/bin (AFAIR...).  It also is not included with the
binary downloads available at the ffmpeg2theora homepage.

The GUI you are referring to, is windows-only, and not open source/free
software (at least i do not manage to find any corresponding source
code; the website says it's 'freeware' which could mean anything,
including shareware/adware/crippleware).

Still, if any nice, easy to install, stable GUIs exist, they could be
documented in a separate (sub)section/chapter.

cheers,

David