[FM Discuss] Wikipedia Manual

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 20:09:04 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am a bit surprised that the manual was created as 'Wikipedia' rather
than 'MediaWiki', as I thought from the previous thread that
'MediaWiki' was what would be created.

There are two very comprehensive Wikipedia "manuals" available under
free licenses, both in printed form and online:

* http://howwikipediaworks.com/ - under the GFDL
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Wikipedia:_The_Missing_Manual -
GFDL (I think it missed the cut-off for switching to CC-BY-SA, though
I'm not sure)

By contrast, AFAIK there is no freely licensed manual for MediaWiki
(see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Books ).

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/