[FM Discuss] writing conventions

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Fri Jul 3 04:30:17 PDT 2009

hey

as a follow up to the conversation Andy and I were having, I wanted to
provide the following as an example :

http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/compare/CommandLineIntro/AboutThisManual?render=sidebyside&context=&skin=floss2&rev1=8&rev2=9

this link is what is typically sent if you subscribe to change
notifications for a manual. In this case I received this notification
today, and the change for this revision is one small edit of the date
format.

I wanted to highlight this as I see these almost everyday - people log
in and reformat the smallest things without making any larger content
contributions. This is why I think we are evolving an ecology of
participants - some that like 'just to write' and some that want to make
small formatting edits. In my experience its the later that ask for a
document on Writing Conventions, and generally, the people that wish
'just to write' don't ask for this.

The role of the maintainer for each manual, I believe, is to subscribe
to these notifications, and send on the Writing Conventions to the
people making proofing edits, and leave the others unencumbered by these
rules unless they specifically ask for them.

(anyone can subscribe to a change notification for a manual from the
linked on the home page for each manual)

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563
Email : adam at flossmanuals.net
irc: irc.freenode.net #flossmanuals