[FM Discuss] berlin pricing

chris hofmann chofmann at meer.net
Sun Jul 5 09:44:41 PDT 2009

A few more ideas.

FM is probably going to have to try tons of funding models before
finding a few successful ones that stick.

Once you figure out your core values, try as many experiments as
possible that fit inside those core values.

The Berlin model is interesting but I think that one part that is
missing from the consumer side is good information about what the real
costs might be.  The consumer can't make a real informed decision about
what it might take to keep the operation sustainable.  One experiment
might not be the 'blind 2 euro model', but rather a 'transparency into
our cost model'

For each manual provide something like the following:

    -here is the link that describes our values, our community of
    passonate contributors, and our beliefs in transparency and
    providing user value. [something like the brand stuff I wrote in the
    last thread],

    -here is the minimum you must pay to get a book (2 euro?  -- I'd say
    more)

    -here is an estimate of what this book might have cost to produce
    given the level of time and effort put in by all contributors
    (optional price)

    -here is the amount that keeps us operating (optional price)

    -here is a suggested amount that allow us to invest in more projects
    and infrastructure (optional price)  [ and a link that talks about
    upcoming projects and infrastructure that you would be helping to fund]

I think if you combined these ideas you get the best of  ideas that
Derek and Adam wrote about.

Adam -
--Make people feel good about what they are contributing too,

--Create some buzz  and attention around a new way of thinking about the
worlds of publishing, pricing, transparency and value.

Derek -
--Know your costs,
--Try to understand the value you are providing
--Run the operation efficiently and effectively,
--Plan for sustainability.

The interesting thing about trying to track these costs and levels of
value is that they could also be applied to the on-line materials.   You
could also make it possible for users to feel good about contributing to
those works by pledging contributions for viewing or downloading.

-chofmann