[FM Discuss] Linz event and introduction

Aileen Derieg a.derieg at eliot.at
Thu Mar 19 10:42:50 PDT 2009

Hello people,

I enjoyed meeting some of you at the Wintercamp in Amsterdam, I was happy to
hear more there about Floss Manuals, which I had only been following
peripherally before, and I especially want to express my thanks for the
invitation to dinner in Amsterdam. In the Genderchangers group we had just
reached a somewhat difficult point, so the timing for that lovely dinner
couldn't have been better.

As I mentioned briefly in a few conversations in Amsterdam, I work as a
translator based in Linz, Austria. Most of my work now involves contemporary
art and New Media, but I started out translating computer books. Through
translating a book about Linux in the mid-90s (I was basically the only
translator in the area using email at the time, who also knew what an
operating system is and why it is important), I became particularly
interested in free software.

Since I earn my living with translating and editing, I have to be careful
about volunteering for extra work, but I think the Floss Manuals are
important, so if I could offer a little support with my professional skills,
I would like very much to do so.

About the event in Linz that Adam just mentioned (http://linz.linuxwochen.at),
I hope very much that someone will be able to come. It should be very good.
For some of us here, it is a bit complicated that the Crossing Europe film
festival takes place in Linz during the same week
(http://www.crossingeurope.at/), but we are working hard on perfecting our
bilocation skills.

This just seemed like a good moment to introduce myself, and I look forward to
reading more from all of you.
All the best,
Aileen

--