[FM Discuss] a few reflections

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sun Mar 22 03:04:52 PDT 2009

hi,

The Command Line Intro book is turning out to be another interesting
book sprint experience. Essentially all contributions are remote.

This has meant that there are people adding material in shifts. Like
everything, the implications are actually quite obvious but I didn't
realise them until actually experiencing this first hand.

So, what is kind of interesting is that new writers log in while the
real space sprinters are asleep. I woke up this morning to find a few
chapters done which were empty when I went to sleep, eg:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/CommandLineIntro/MultipleFiles

This is a pretty good feeling!

To assist the process I was wondering what we can do. One thing that
could help is to have a very simple announcement box per manual. It
might contain a few notices like :
* chapters requiring priority attention include all those in the
'advanced' section
* can someone write the 'introduction to scripting' chapter

etc

This would give a few hints to those logging in as to what to do when
others are asleep.

Also, I think a link to the irc channel log for that day would be very
helpful, then contributors can look back and see what has been
discussed.

The www irc chat embedded in the WRITE section has been unbelievably
useful during this sprint....quite amazing

anyways...thats just a few thoughts. any other ideas of how we could
assist remote contributors are welcome

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563
Email : adam at flossmanuals.net