[FM Discuss] [IAEP] ISBN Numbers Summary.

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Mar 27 14:55:00 PDT 2009

Thanks SO much for doing this legwork David. Good stuff.

One disconnect in the process still exists for me, and maybe someone can
explain it to me.

How does FM get a book get stocked and sold by Amazon?

Even if FM is publisher, a publisher still needs printed copies and a method
of sending those to people who order them. In other words, the work flow as
I know it currently is:
1.  FM/SL booksprint to create the content
2.  FM publishes the content to a PDF file.
3. FM uploads the PDF file to a place that prints books. Currently FM uses
http://www.lulu.com/ for this step.
4.  Lulu (not FM) makes the content more widely available via resellers such
as Amazon.
Step 4 is the one that's black magic to me. :)

Anne

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Andy Oram <andyo at oreilly.com> wrote:

> In commercial publishing, it's clear what a new edition is. We can go on
> for years fixing typos or slipping in minor updates without releasing a new
> edition, just new printings. But when we decide the volume of changes are
> enough for a new edition, we go through the long, heavy-weight process of
> making a book:
>
> * A proposal to management
>
> * A new contract (or an addendum)
>
> * A new sales sheet and sales pitches by sales reps
>
> None of this is relevant to FLOSS Manuals. So you're free to call something
> a new edition when, say, the software goes from version 1.0 to 2.0, but the
> decision is more arbitrary.
>
> There are two other features of new editions that are irrelevant in a POD
> situation:
>
> * Reprints change selected pages (as few as you can get away with) whereas
> a new edition sends a whole new file to the printer for an entire book.
>
> * Bookstores send back the earlier edition when they stock the new one.
>
> Andy

Anne Gentle
email: annegentle at justwriteclick.com
blog: www.justwriteclick.com