[FM Discuss] Beyond manuals

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:42:50 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Andy Oram <andyo at oreilly.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the validation and the extra ideas. Especially for mentioning education again. O'Reilly's Head First approach is promising in that area, but it requires a big investment.

I'm running through the Head First Algebra book on Safari. It uses
pictures of refrigerator magnets, and asks the reader to put them in
the right places in an equation. We can do this with the programmable
blocks in Turtle Art to make it instantly interactive. The page can
show the value of each side of the equation, and whether the two sides
are equal, and let students see values of subexpressions, and so on.
We can automate graphing with no trouble. We can get a symbolic
algebra program and let students do real manipulations. I'll think of
some more software that we can build in. I have material on showing
students how to write programs to create their own practice problems.
Then we can think about how interactivity affects the educational
approach.

What I haven't seen yet is, How you know any of this works. I see, "If
you follow the rules, you'll ALWAYS get the right answer." As far as I
am concerned, "Trust me" is never the right answer in math or science.

>The governments do have the funds.

Some of them. And NGOs and aid agencies are willing to spend on the
others when we can present a convincing case.

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)