[FM Discuss] I think we're on to something with our Book Sprint :)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:08:24 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Andy Oram <andyo at oreilly.com> wrote:
> The most impressive publishing cycle I've encountered was a book on the Israeli invasion of the Entebbe airport in 1976 to rescue hostages. Naturally, the attack shocked and titillated the world. I clearly remember seeing a book on the shelves of a local bookstore one week later. I might be off by a bit, but it was still an amazing rush jo.
>
> Andy

The Pentagon Papers and the Nixon tape transcripts were out in
paperback the day after they appeared in the newspapers. There have
been a number of other such cases. There is a small industry devoted
to making this possible, made up of people and businesses that can
push back their regular responsibilities for a day when needed for a
rush job of mass typesetting, cover layout, printing, and binding. The
distribution network is prearranged so that they can hit the racks in
most cities in one day, and blanket the US in two.

Naturally, this only works when no editing is needed.

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)