[FM Discuss] "CC" license without "By" -- similar to public domain but has restriction.

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Oct 15 13:41:50 PDT 2009

2009/10/16 Douglas Bagnall <douglas at paradise.net.nz>

> narendra sisodiya wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >      I am silent reader of this mailing list. I just want to ask , It
> > is possible to have CC-SA licensing for books.
>

> No.  It isn't really possible to have any free license without
> attribution, because the people you are attributing to are the ones who
> are licensing to you.  It is their name and license text that lets you
> do anything.
>

> Douglas

I disagree here.

Copyright holders can licence their creative works in any fashion they
desire. If the only requirement for reuse is that the reuser also permits
reuse, then I see no trouble with that in principle.

The original author can waive rights to explicit attribution. However, they
would still hold moral rights over the work. These cannot be licenced away.
Therefore, I don't know what the problem would be.

Tim.