[FM Discuss] "CC" license without "By" -- similar to public domain but has restriction.

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Sat Oct 17 04:37:49 PDT 2009

Hello,

I am at FinHack. Here I am asked again about the compatibility of FLOSS
Manuals' GPL license with other documentation sites that use the CC license?
What should I say? Is it possible to copy and paste text from a CC site to a
GPL site and vice versa? This would make collaboration with other FLOSS
documentation sites easier...

Best regards
Tomi

2009/10/17 adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net>

> On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 05:06 +0530, A. Mani wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM, adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net>
> wrote:
> > > then you can get material in pdf. html, odt, epub etc and they all have
> > > attribution
> > >
> > > booki will model this but take it a bit further since in FM we use one
> > > license (gpl)...to manage a repository with multiple licenses takes
> more
> > > mechanics...
> >

> > GFDL or GPL. The GFDL is clearly more easier to interpret for
> > documents (including those with source files). Are you sure about the
> > compatibility  of the latest GFDL ?
>
> FM uses the GPL...FDL is a nightmare for _any_ document. and the worst
> thing possible to use with free documentation since the FDL is _not_
> compatible with the GPL (so u cant dist the docs with the code) ...but i
> have said this all before :
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/FreeDocumentation
>
> adam
>

> > Best