[FM Discuss] Draft: The Evolution and Convolution of Online Publication

Andy Oram andyo at oreilly.com
Wed Oct 21 08:55:05 PDT 2009

I circulated a much earlier and much smaller version of this article
on this mailing list a couple months ago. I've gotten great critiques
and I've changed the article dramatically. I encourage members of the
list to read the article and send me more comments.

http://praxagora.com/andyo/draft/publishing_peer.html

The central topics are:

    Reach, authority, and filtering
    Peer review and community
    Framing and agenda-setting
    Private versus public spaces

I think the article may be published (appropriately enough for an
article about publishing!) and when I find out more about the context,
I'll do some more heavy editing.

A few weaknesses are already evident to me:

* It wanders a lot, as I'm indulging myself. Some ideas
  depart pretty far from the central point, although I still think
  they're relevant.

* I get the feeiing I repeat myself, because the article grew
  haphazardly over the months. I'll have to engage in some intensiv
  outlining to figure out how to consolidate points.

* There are a lot of bold and controversial claims (otherwise there
  would be no point in writing the article), so some hedging and
  counter-arguments may be required.

Andy