[FM Discuss] Book idea: useful command lines

sylvain charzat sylvain.charzat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 06:51:33 PDT 2009

Hi,

I had this idea while working on the french translation of
'introduction to the command line': why not publishing a book with all
kinds of useful shell one-liners, with explanations and real-life
examples. It could be a nice add-on to the commandline book and useful
on its own.

Some things i thought about:
 - broad categories as chapters, for example system administration,
image editing, programming, web, hardware troubleshooting
 - maybe some kind of recipe-like complexity rating (beginner,
seasoned user, expert)
 - since the emphasis would be on usefulness, it would benefit from a
large number of contributions (i.e. we all have different uses for our
unix boxes and developed different tools). Maybe that would make it
unsuitable for a book sprint, i don't know.

I don't have much free time on my hands right now so i don't think i
can start this project and see it to completion but if people are
interested i'd gladly contribute ;-) otherwise i'll come back to this
after i'm done with the translation (not anytime soon i'm afraid).

Thanks for reading,
Sylvain

--
Envoyé avec mon mobile