[FM Discuss] things i hate...

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Thu Oct 8 00:44:24 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 14:08 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/10/7 adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net>:
> > ugh...i brought a book to experiment with the sony ereader (since FM
> > will be producing epubs soon via objavi). and...man...was that a
> > mistake. DRM prevented me from transferring it to my reader since for no
> > good reason other than I dont use windows so i cant use Adobe Digital
> > Editions to transfer the book to the reader
> >

> Tried Calibre?
>
> http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

sorry, i missed the point of your recommendation before...i tried
Calibre with the DRM material and it would not transfer it to the sony
reader. Calibre reported the problem and said it was necessary to use
third party tools to remove the DRM first.

I did, by the way, try transferring the DRM epub to the sony ereader
manually (dragging it from Ubuntu to the mounted drive)...this worked
for non DRM material but not the DRM epub...

Also,..I tried dragging all the Digital Editions files related to the
DRM protected epub to the sony ereader and it still didnt work.

For the Sony ereader (and other DRM friendly ereaders) either you need
non-DRM protected material, or (for some DRM protected epubs) you need
the Adobe Digital Editions to do all the management of the file for you.

It isnt a very friendly situation. I came away understanding even more
clearly how DRM damages the brand perception of publishers.

Also, just as an aside...ironically, the book with the DRM that would
not transfer to my sony reader, even though I had paid for it like a
good citizen, was published in the 19th century...ie...its copyright
protection had expired...by stopping me from transferring the content to
my reader DRM was stopping me from exercising my 'rights' gifted to me
by copyright

adam