[FM Discuss] some good news (Please identify OSI)

Tomas Antvorskov Krag t at wire.less.dk
Thu Oct 22 02:19:55 PDT 2009

I've  worked with Janet on and off for the past 8 years, and both
herself and the rest of the Information Program at OSI are extremely
well aware of the case for Open Source in  Open Societes. They are well
versed in the political and the financial argument, and amongst funders,
I know of few who support open source as much as they do.

I could mention a ton of projects they support and have supported in the
past, but there are 2 buts.

but 1: The information program is a tiny part of whay OSI does, so the
sack of money is nowhere as large as OSI's general sack.

but 2: While they support Open SOurce related projects, this is often in
the form of workshops, trainings, documentation etc. The concern they
have with supporting actual open source development is more of a concern
with supporting development in general than supporting open source
development specifically. From what i understand they've had some bad
experiences supporting development of really good open source projects
that ended up as failures because they didn't manage to build a
community around them, and hence couldn't be maintained updated, and
didn't see widespread use.

If I were to warrant a guess (informed guess at best, since i did have
conversations with Janet about Booki), I would say that what changed
their mind in this particular case will have been the existing community
around FLOSS Manuals, as well as adams proven track record, i.e. the
fact that booki is being based on something that works rather than on a
specification document.

Just my 2½ cents worth of something...

cheers

/tomas

On 2009-10-21 03:42, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> Perhaps we can help Janet to make the case for Open Source in support
> of Open Societies. It's certainly a large part of the political
> movement, and of the OLPC approach to development through education. I
> can also provide some of the economics arguments. Not just financial
> benefits of efficiency, but social benefits as discussed in Welfare
> Economics.
>
> Hey, we could write a book!
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 16:33, adam hyde<adam at flossmanuals.net>  wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 10:18 +1100, Lachlan Musicman wrote:
>>> 1. Congrats/Awesome
>>> 2. Just for the record, it's actually "The Open _Society_ Institute",
>>> not the Open Source Institute. Soros and his mob are big money.
>>
>> we didnt get such a big slice, but ok to keep the dev going a bit. We
>> were very lucky that Janet from the OSI went to bat for us as it sounded
>> like there was a lot of skepticism internally since the OSI does not
>> generally fund software development these days...
>>
>> anyways....more from me soon :)
>>
>> adam
>>

>>> Open Society Institute
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Society_Institute
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> L.

>> --
>> Adam Hyde
>> Founder FLOSS Manuals
>> German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563
>> Email : adam at flossmanuals.net
>> irc: irc.freenode.net #flossmanuals
>>
>> "Free manuals for free software"
>> http://www.flossmanuals.net/about

wire.less.dk - Open Infrastructure for the Developing World
e: t at wire.less.dk  |  t: +45 27115960  | skype: tomaskrag
profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tkrag