[FM Discuss] wikimania and foo report # 1

Andy Oram andyo at oreilly.com
Tue Sep 1 19:20:48 PDT 2009

It happens that I just posted a blog that touches on this question...digital participation in developing countries.  Nandan Nilekani's "Imagining India" says a lot about how IT reaches the most remote areas. He's enamored of the movement of course. The whole book may be interesting to people interested in development:

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/09/computerization-in-nilekanis-i.html

Andy

------

my position is simple...i think techo-evangalists often link the access
to technology by a rich, and often technologically advanced class, to
ideas of 'democracy'

so we get terms like 'democratic participation' ... or 'democratising
technology' ... both of which i think are shallow uses of the term