[FM Discuss] Article for discussion: Publications are not for peers

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Tue Sep 8 03:18:22 PDT 2009

very interesting. i'm loving the discussions that get going on this
list.

I have to ponder the last section more. In essence I agree there is a
dissonance between traditional 'peer' and publication' models...although I think the
two are collapsing into one. We can see this with translation - with
regard to Digital Foundations, for example, 'peer communities' are
taking published works and translating them...

also, i would like to suggest FM is exactly this hybrid 'peer review'
and publications entity. We definitely have the 'peer' component,
although perhaps 'peer' is too limiting a term - I prefer community. We
are also beginning to hear people say they want their docs hosted on FM
because its good promotion for their docs (and, consequently, software).
This is one of the roles of a publisher (I had exactly this conversation
this weekend)...

adam