[FM Discuss] Workshops, modules, participatory media, LAMP, etc.

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Tue Sep 8 05:50:26 PDT 2009

Hello,

We are planning workshops here in Finland based on the idea of providing all
tools for a FLOSS Participatory Media. Ideally a person who would go through
all the workshops would be able to set up an online
citizen/community/alternative/participatory media with text, video, audio,
graphics, printable PDF, etc.

Module 1: Platform - setting up and administrating WordPress - though this
might cover some other Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP platform, if there is such a
manual in the future...
Module 2: Video - video editing with Kino
Module 3: Audio - audio editing with Audacity
Module 4: Streaming - Ogg Theora
Module 5: Graphics - Inkscape, Digital Foundations, etc.
Module 6: Print media - Create a printed version of your web media with our
upcoming Scribus manual...
Module 7: 3D graphics - Blender

So modules 2-7 would be more about creating content with Open Source tools,
while module 1 would be sysadmin/webmaster stuff about setting up a web
platform for your content. We will go ahead with video and streaming modules
first.

Any comments? :)

Best Regards
Tomi Toivio