[FM Discuss] archive.org and booki

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Tue Sep 8 08:22:32 PDT 2009

hi,

This is an just to say that we are very happy to announce that
Archive.org will part-sponsor the development of booki. Booki, for those
that do not know, is the new book-wiki platform being developed by FLOSS
Manuals.

We have been talking about it for a while, and you may have thought it
would never happen, but Aco, Douglas and I have been working quietly in
the background writing funding applications, schmoozing, and designing
the architecture. We have also anticipated the development by splitting
Objavi (the PDF and ODT file generator) off from the existing FLOSS
Manuals and it now runs as a standalone service capable of interacting
with the new platform when it is ready.

We are still looking for co-sponsors, but this initial sponsorship
allows us to get our coding underway. We will have more information soon
about the git repository etc for those that wish to contribute to
booki.

Archive.org are also very interested in working with us in the long
term...we hope to meet with them again, so more news will follow in
time, and I will keep you up to date with the development regularly.

On the topic of development - it is all free software, and we will pay
Aco and Douglas to develop it. I will get a fee for project management.
None of us will be paid full time, but enough to get the work done on
the schedule we have outlined. If you wish to join the development as a
volunteer programmer then we welcome any interest on this level. You can
email me direct if you are interested in how to get involved.

many thanks to archive.org!

:)

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563