[FM Discuss] Book Binding and Admin

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Thu Sep 17 06:34:18 PDT 2009

hihi

I just wanted to show some photos of the Book Binding the FM binder
(Cara) has been doing. I put some photos on the blog :
http://en.flossmanuals.net/about

The photos are of the Ogg Theora book - Cara hand bound these books and
also screen printed the covers etc. The came out looking really nice.
The interiors are produced as A4 (European standard letter size) by our
handy PDF book generator - Objavi.

So Cara and I had a meeting today about where we could take this. We
agreed that we should create hand made books for Book Sprint
participants (as a thank you and memento), and we will continue to
experiment with the binding process - possibly documenting as we go so
anyone can make their own books.

so, in a seemingly unrelated topic (wait...)...it has been pointed out
to me a few times that I am falling a little behind some admin tasks...I
am actually well aware of this. Part of the issue is that when I travel
I am out of the loop, part of it is because the admin tasks are fiddly
and drive me a little crazy. This is actually a bit of an issue with the
platform we have (TWiki admin processes are a little obscure at times),
and one of the reasons why we are building Booki.

...so..after a few coffees and chatter, Cara (who is also based in
Berlin) and I agreed that for small monthly fee Cara would produce the
hand made covers for each Book Sprint and also help with some of the
tasks I am falling behind in. This seems to make sense to me, since if
we were to pay for either a Book Binder or a part-part-part time admin
then we could not pay anything close to a fee that would make it
interesting. By combing the two it seems to me and Cara to work out ok.
It is also helpful that Cara is in Berlin. I work a lot remotely, but
sometimes a face-to-face download of to-dos is a cathartic and
productive process.

I am very very grateful to Cara for this. I also want to thank everyone
that has been helping with these tasks - especially Anne Gentle who has
done a lot of work setting up manuals and translations. Also, many
thanks to Janet, Lachlan and others that have been helping out.

I also want to ask that the process of helping out on admin on this
level continues. Caras role is to support the admin process and
especially to make sure anything not picked up is done quickly (esp when
I am traveling or in Book Sprints), her role is not to 'be' the
admin...so if we all continue to chip in then it will work out great.

So...welcome aboard Cara!

:)

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563