[FM Discuss] Stats for downloads

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Mon Sep 28 15:03:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 16:55 -0500, David Farning wrote:

> Yes, bad does seem a bit strong.  On the other hand download metric
> are very useful to projects.
>
> Sugar Labs and OLPC have specifically decided to host on FM in order
> to drive traffic to the FM site and make people aware of the good
> things happening in the free software ecosystem.
>
> Would it be possible implement an apache log parser to determine
> download statistics and make them available to manual maintainers?

I dont want FM to be run by statistics. I want us to generate books
based on what we want to write, not using stats to steer the ship.

As I see it, showing a funder a quality well written manual that you
have produced in 5 days is a pretty good argument to doing it again. if
it needs backing up, get testimonials...any thoughts on this?