[FM Discuss] reading about publishing

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Wed Sep 23 13:56:34 PDT 2009

hey

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 12:34 -0500, Anne Gentle wrote:
> Hi all -
> I'm enjoying this article titled "Post-Medium Publishing" because it
> discusses the question, do people value better content? Since that's
> part of FM's value proposition (better content), I'm fascinated.
> http://www.paulgraham.com/publishing.html

thanks for this Anne. I just got some time today to read it...great
article. I liked Paul Grahams position that publishers have not been in
the business of selling content, they have been in the business of
selling paper. His point that paper no longer sells and hence publishing
is entering a post-medium era seems spot on.

However his attempts to suggest what comes next didn't hold much water
for me. I was wondering what your thoughts are on, for example, his
belief that either advertising or devices (ie the kindle) will become
the new model...

...to me these conclusions seem rather shallow given his very
stimulating lead in...I guess he does excuse himself from these
concluding musings with the rather nice statement :

"...though I can't predict specific winners, I can offer a recipe for
recognizing them. When you see something that's taking advantage of new
technology to give people something they want that they couldn't have
before, you're probably looking at a winner. And when you see something
that's merely reacting to new technology in an attempt to preserve some
existing source of revenue, you're probably looking at a loser."

nice nice...

 adam