[FM Discuss] Final Image Licensing for "E-Book Enlightenment"

Rebecca Hargrave Malamud webchick at invisible.net
Fri Aug 20 09:34:02 PDT 2010

Greetings -

Oceana finalized the cover this week, now entitled "E-Book
Enlightenment: Reading and Leading with One Laptop Per Child" based on
the cover selection of the child and the laptop:

http://www.ruraldesigncollective.org/mosh/ebook.enlightenment.png

We had a session on licensing this Hacker Wednesday which raised some
questions:

1. Can the images used on the cover have a different license than the
interior illustrations (let's say GPLII for the cover to support the
precedent at FLOSS Manuals, and perhaps Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa and
cc by-nc-nd on the interior)? We thought it might be interesting to link
to CC licenses within the text on the FM site if it is agreeable with
the author and the FM team.

2. Can the images be released as GPLII for the 72dpi/600px versions used
by FLOSS Manuals, yet something different for the full resolution
versions? What if the artist wanted to make a poster or something along
those lines with the full resolution images?

3. Will Booki support per-object licensing in the future, or will the
license always apply to the entire book?

Many of these questions are raised out of the course of our internal
collaborative process (for instance, the artist has created images that
the book designer may not use, but we are still contemplating releasing
them through our RDC site).

Rest assured, we have no shortage of creativity or curiosity at #rdcHQ!
  :-)

Thank you!

Rebecca Malamud