[FM Discuss] Make MYOSA Beautiful!

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 09:26:26 PDT 2010

Calling all CSS experts!  I just received the very first printed copy
of the book "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" from Lulu.  I used the
"server default" style sheet in OBJAVI II to make the PDF and it
looked OK on the screen (Adobe Acrobat magnified the pages 150% or so)
but in the actual book the print is too small for easy reading and the
text of the code samples (the most important part of the book) is even
smaller and faint.

The book has been removed from Lulu until we can resolve these
problems.  I have done some fooling around with the style sheet and
have come up with something that is definitely an improvement, which I
have pasted to the bottom of this email.  I can probably make it a
little better on my own.  However, we are talking about the future
programmers of the world here.  "A little better" just isn't going to
cut it.

What I'm looking for is someone who can style the living daylights out
of this book.  The only rule is that the <pre> tag must be a
monospaced font, but other than that anything goes as long as the
results are readable.

What do you get if your style sheet is used?  Other than the warm
feeling you'll get from knowing you helped the world's children, you
can add your bio to the "About The Authors" chapter of the book.

Send URLs of generated PDFs to me for review.  OBJAVI II will be found at:

http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/

Use the "Show advanced options" button to use an alternate style sheet.

Thanks,

James Simmons

My own style sheet:

body {
/*  font-family: 'Gillius ADF'; */
/*  font-family: "Beteckna"; */
  font-family: "Trebuchet MS";
  background: #fff;
  color: #000;
}

.unseen{
  z-index: -66;
  margin-left: -1000pt;
}

.objavi-chapter{
  color: #000;
}

h1 .initial{
  color: #000;
  font-size: 2em;
}

.objavi-subsection{
  display: block;
  page-break-before: always;
/*  page-break-after: always;*/
/*  text-transform: uppercase; */
  font-size: 20pt;
}

body .objavi-subsection:first-child{
  page-break-before: avoid;
}

.objavi-subsection .initial {
  font-size: 1em;
  color: #000;
}

.objavi-subsection-heading{
  font-size: 36pt;
  font-weight: bold;
}

h1 {
  /* text-transform: uppercase; */
  page-break-before: always;
  background: white;
}

/*h1.first-heading {
  page-break-before: avoid;
}*/

h2 {
  /* text-transform: uppercase; */
}

table {
  float: none;
}

h1.frontpage{
  font-size: 64pt;
  text-align: center;
  page-break-after: always;
  page-break-before: avoid;
  max-width: 700px;
}

div.copyright{
  padding: 1em;
}

table.toc {
  /*border: 1px dotted #999;*/
  font-size: 17pt;
  width: 95%;
}

td.chapter {
  padding-left: 2em;
  text-align: right;
}

td.pagenumber {
  text-align: right;
}

td.section {
  font-size: 1.1em;
  /* text-transform: uppercase; */
  font-weight: bold;
}

p, ul, ol {
  page-break-inside: avoid;
}

pre, code, tt {
  font-family: "Courier", "Courier New", monospace;
  font-size: 1em;
}

pre {
  max-width:700px;