[FM Discuss] Free cognitive mapping softtware

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 20:26:45 PDT 2010

Free software with impact. Does anybody know them, or how they handle
documentation?

http://www.ushahidi.com/

Ushahidi, which means "testimony" in Swahili, is a website that was
initially developed to map reports of violence in Kenya after the
post-election fallout at the beginning of 2008. Ushahidi's roots are
in the collaboration of Kenyan citizen journalists during a time of
crisis. The website was used to map incidents of violence and peace
efforts throughout the country based on reports submitted via the web
and mobile phone. This initial deployment of Ushahidi had 45,000 users
in Kenya, and was the catalyst for us realizing there was a need for a
platform based on it, which could be use by others around the world.

Our goal is to create a platform that any person or organization can
use to set up their own way to collect and visualize information. The
core platform will allow for plug-in and extensions so that it can be
customized for different locales and needs. The beta version platform
is now available as an open source application that others can
download for free, implement and use to bring awareness to crisis
situations or other events in their own locales, it is also
continually being improved tested with various partners primarily in
Kenya. Organizations can also use the tool for internal monitoring or
visualization purposes.

Recommended by Clay Shirky in his book, Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and
Generosity in a Connected Age

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

http://www.earthtreasury.org/