[FM Discuss] Question about ISBNs

Andy Oram andyo at oreilly.com
Mon Aug 30 16:03:11 PDT 2010

At O'Reilly we're facing an issue with online books, and I know FM has
dealt with it too--but I don't remember the resolution.

To sell a book through conventional channels, you need an ISBN. A new
edition gets a new ISBN. But what is a "new" edition? The CiviCRM manual
has undergone a major overhaul and expansion. Did it get a new ISBN?
What rules govern when a book gets a new ISBN?

At O'Reilly, one of the things that makes us shiver is two people
arguing over how to carry out some technical task, and both referring to
their copies of a book, and then finding out their two copies say
something different. Reminds me of the political left in the 1970s, when
the Quotations of Chairman Mao changed routinely.

Andy