[FM Discuss] UI Challenge

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 06:22:37 PDT 2010

Adam,

Rather than make the interface more elaborate I'd like to have some
simple (I hope) things:

1).  A more reasonable default style sheet.  The one we have uses
really big fonts for titles, sections, TOC, and really small ones for
content.  It also makes a lot of stuff ALL CAPS  when it really should
not.  The style sheet I'm putting together for MYOSA might be the
basis for a reasonable default, and it uses the same fonts that
Collaborative Futures uses.

2).  More reasonable default behavior for page breaks.  A heading (h2,
h3) should never be left at the bottom of a page with the section
following it on the next page.  A table should not be split across
pages if it can be avoided.  On the other hand a list of bullets CAN
be split across pages.

3).  The style sheet for the web version of an FM should treat
preformatted text like the PDF does.  Right now if a line is too long
on the web it wraps to the next line, but in the PDF it gets
truncated.  If the text was truncated in pretty much the same place on
the web as it would be in the PDF with the default PRE font (Courier
12 pts please) then code examples could be formatted on the web and it
would be reasonably likely that they would be good in the PDF
generated with the default styles.

On my second book I have the services of a talented artist and people
who are really interested in book design.  On MYOSA I didn't have that
and didn't think I would need it.  I was hoping that OBJAVI would be
like LyX, where you don't really get to design how your pages will
look but they come out looking great anyway.

James Simmons