[FM Discuss] epub test

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:24:35 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 16:05, Lachlan Musicman <datakid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any tips for reading epubs on iphone?

To answer my own question, use the free app "Stanza" - seems to work fine:

http://www.lexcycle.com/

obvious problems from initial flick through:

 - formatting looks weird when justified. Not weird, just that ugly
"add spaces to fill line" concept. Actually, now that I look at it,
that is coupled with a hyphen at the end of a line to break words up?
looks odd having both

 - links that are hyphenated/broken don't show as links, and don't
open in safari. Ok, my initial analysis is wrong - some links work,
other's don't - hard to see any pattern to this behaviour.

 - the Anonymous rant at the start looks strange due to the brevity of
some of the sentences, coupled with the dot point formatting (large
space between * and first letter) but not helped by the fact that
"Anonymous" is a long word and starts most of those sentences.

 - seem to be a lot of a-hat characters: â "U+00E2 (226)" according to
OOo. Looks like they are replacing some sort of hyphen or dash.

otherwise it looks good :) I presume some of these problems could be
the "stanza" software not the book?

cheers
L.

--
The essence of a rant, in fact, is that the ranter has no idea how to
fix the thing being ranted about.