[FM Discuss] SPRINT ON COLLABORATION - LIMA PERU

sandra salcedo sandra at tanq.com.pe
Wed Jan 27 16:02:24 PST 2010

Adam, finally we had our first "book sprint" on "collaboration". As we know
this is just an "inspirational" coincidence that we both, from Peru and
Germany, were thinking on writing about the same topic. As you know our
reality is different so we would like to share with you our experience
specially given that we did it almost at the same time but we took different
roads.

To start, i would say that we never thought on writing this as a book with
chapters or transversal topics. Instead, given our "innocence" in this thing
of writing together we decided to use this as a documentation platform where
to write our own experiences about collaboration in our particular contexts.
In this sense, we call people working on very diverse areas: artists working
with people after the earthquake, people working in radical poor zones on
collaborative education, migration, free software, neighborhood,
collaboration and development and so on.

I cannot but share with you that my feelings along the sprint were similar
than yours, how are we going to do this!!! but people were so confident on
doing it and the way we were facilitating the sessions that i just
perseverated. I mean, they did not even understood well when i wrote the
email and asked them to come for the SPRINT , (sprint??? what is sprint?
they confess know they thought considering also that we speak in spanish it
needed a long explanation..!!)

Well, so many things,  that the title was COLLABORATION AND WORK seemed to
have had something to do with the fact that everybody accepted to join our
effort. We were from Friday 22 to Monday 25 but we did not spend the night
at the same place together, everybody went home. Eventhough the risk, we all
arrived at 9am to start writing every morning. Something unusual being sharp
on time here in peru!!!

Many topics were transversal in all texts but i want to highlight one:
CONFIDENCE FOR COLLABORATION.
It was clear for everyone that the lack of confidence, something not only
common but considered necessary in a post armed conflict country and high
corruption level. However, the amazing thing was that it was clear that
because of confidence all the projects they lead are running and of course
because of confidence there were in this place to share for 4 days were they
really did not know anybody, not even me.

Kiko (mayorga) was facilitating all the technical issues and explaining the
best ways for networking. Me, I was just focus on keeping things flowing,
within and outside the texts. We also had two friends (psycologists just
becuase a coincidence!!!) helping everyone with their own reflections
regarding their experiences and leading them from their experiences to some
common issues that we agreed should be along all the texts: project
explanation, collaboration dimension in their projects, actors, best
collaborative practices etc)

Finally, I just want to share with you our happiness, the result will be
printed soon and probably online (if not written in video format while being
read by their own authors). It was amazing that finishing the sprint we
found your email sharing your own collaborative futures experience.
Congratulations, great effort!!

Some pictures for you too.
abrazos
sandra