[FM Discuss] FLOSS Manual for FSlint

John Curwood marketing at lovinglearning.co.nz
Thu Jun 17 11:57:20 PDT 2010

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in replying, the manual is shaping up very nicely,
you are doing a great job for your first documentation effort.  I had
not herd of FSlint before you asked to create a manual for it, but I
think I will have to get a copy.

In terms of pointers here are a few Ideas I have:

When it comes to writing style, you need a clear idea of the intended
audience for your manual (are they complete novices or are they
technically adept and just need a few pointers).  It sounds like you are
leaning more towards the novice end of the scale so to help get a feel
for how it would read get someone you know who falls into that category
to read the manual and see how much they understand or get out of it and
make a note of their comments for helping to target that audience.

They way I would set up each chapter is at the start give a small talk
about the tool covered in that chapter and why you would use it before
going into the graphical Interface and command line sections.

For examples of entries in the command line I would use the 'Formatted'
style in the editor to separate it from the standard text.

I would probably include a chapter on downloading and installing on
different systems (e.g. debian, ubuntu, fetora, etc), especially if the
manual is aimed towards the novice user.

And Finally if you click on the 'Arange Manual Index' link on the FSlint
web home page, you can split the manual up into sections using the 'Add
Section' button.  My personal taste would be to split the manual into 3
sections:
1- Introduction.  This would include the introduction chapter, the
Installation chapter (if you decide to add one) and maybe the common
interface items chapter.
2- Using FSlint.  This would include everything from the Duplicates
Chapter down to the Redundant White Spaces Chapter.
3- Appendix.  This would include Other Command Line Tools and the
Credits Chapter.

At the end of the day, most of these comments are more personal
taste/style rather than actual criticisms so feel free to use them or
not. :-)

Keep up the Great Work!

cheers,

John