[FM Discuss] Future of Booki

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 07:43:47 PDT 2010

Adam,

Yes, I did see the EPUB export in Booki.

I am thinking about cleaning up the EPUBs for my contributions and
reloading them on archive.org.  I have been using Sigil to make EPUBs,
and one killer feature it has is the ability to easily split a book
into chapters.  You put your cursor at the place where you want to
split, push a button, and your XHTML file is now two XHTML files.  It
also automatically puts anything with an H1, etc tag in the table of
contents.  (You can suppress TOC of entries as needed).  If I was
going to fix up my IA EPUBs I'd want to run them through Sigil to
break up the chapters and make a nice TOC before importing into Booki,
because the treatment of EPUB chapters on IA is kind of lackluster.

Once you have the EPUB in Booki you can do a Distributed Proofreaders
thing on it, which would be great.

One of my biggest challenges in writing my FLOSS Manual is organizing
the content.  Right now I have separate sections of the book for
authoring e-books and publishing e-books.  Booki could go in either
section, creates several different e-book formats, and can be used to
create printed books as well.  I could also see potential e-book
authors reading about Booki and then wondering why they bothered with
the rest of the book.

James Simmons