[FM Discuss] requirements doc

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 07:34:27 PDT 2010

Adam,

I liked this doc.  It answered a lot of questions I had, but it left
some unclear, specifically under "Scope":

"This service is a production tool for the creation of free
content and not a publishing/hosting service. Content produced within
Booki.cc is intended to be published elsewhere, either under another
domain, in paper form (ie. books), distributed in electronic formats, or
re-used in other content."

I can guess what this might mean for my own manuals: I write them
using Booki.cc and they get published on the FLOSS Manuals site.  What
is unclear is how that works for content not published under FLOSS
Manuals.  Suppose I use Booki.cc to make a better EPUB for the Boy's
Aviation book I donated to the Internet Archive.  When I'm done I
remove the IA-generated EPUB and replace it with my own.  When I'm
done would I delete the book from Booki?  Suppose a teacher wants to
write a free Algebra textbook in collaboration with some other
teachers around the country.  The book would be published on the
Internet Archive as a Community Text.  However, like a FLOSS Manual it
will be revised and improved from time to time, so it would be useful
to keep it in Booki.cc indefinitely.  Would that be allowed, or would
the teacher need to set up his own Booki installation?

James Simmons