[FM Discuss] public view deprecated

adam adam at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 1 00:56:31 PST 2011

sooo...

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 08:56 +0100, joachim heintz wrote:
> adam -
>
> i do completely understand what you say about do-ocracy. perhaps
> democracy was the wrong word for what i wanted to ask for. it's more a
> certain stability/reliability in some conditions. if i spread links to
> let people look - without being registered - into a manual which is in
> the write process, and these links are not working any more, from one
> day to the next, i don't feel good with this.

> i'd suggest to have a message at the "write" page about "this is just a
> preliminary view for showing the last state of writing", to make it
> clear that the function is just this, and not a nice view. but i think
> this "write" view for everyone, without logging in, is a good chance to
> get people in for writing.

i understand your position and its a good point.

this issue is not very easy. as you may have seen from the emails that
just went through the list with And from Engage (Plumi manual). They
thought the unstable view was the manual and they linked to it. I also
had someone write to me complaining that their CTO didnt like the css of
that view - they thought it was also the manual. In that case I took the
time to explain the issue to them many times and they still linked to
the unstable version and told their readers it was the manual and asked
how the versioning numbers could be matched to the version numbers of
their software so the *readers* would not be confused.

This is why I do not like this view being exposed. If we enable it this
means we run the risk of the growing readership relying on the unstable
material. this was *exactly* what i was trying to avoid when I started
FM. Te idea was to develop attractive, well written, stable manuals.

This view undoes that strategy. So I am very sorry for you and the rest
of the people that have had to deal with this switch. It was made in the
interests of stability. Infact I tried to keep this view by not linking
to it at all from the booki.fm interface but still people found it and
sent it on to readers *despite* there being a warning saying 'this is
not the manual' on the front page.

However we are trying to make fm work to meet your needs. I am not sure
what will satisfy your issue at the moment. I can think of either:
1. publish an unstable version of the manual on your site using
http://objavi.flossmanuals.net

2. link to the edit interface or

3. publish the manual to fm

If you have any other ideas then lets discuss it and see what we can
do...

adam