[FM Discuss] forums (yeeech)

tycho garen garen at tychoish.com
Mon Feb 14 07:20:02 PST 2011

Hi,

I'm new, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 04:05:24PM +0100, adam hyde wrote:
> so...i was wondering if anyone has good ideas on forums to use - or some
> kind of feedback mechanism for 'users'? We need to install one on
> booki.cc since its getting quite a bit of usage but there is no
> community as such yet like there is with fm...

I'm not a big web forums kind of guy (see below), but my general
tendencies in this area are:

- [Vanilla Forums](http://vanillaforums.org/): it's simple, it looks
  good out of the box, and it doesn't over complicate things in the
  way that some more popular software immediately invites you to
  create lots of sub-forums which divide attention.

- [ikiwiki](http://ikiwiki.info) which has a page-inlining/blogging
  feature set that you can use to power forum sites
  (e.g. http://ikiwiki.info/forum/). It's super low-fi/low key, but in
  that: really awesome.

> i would like to make it web based but i really dont like web forums...is
> there a better way to do it? I had thought microblogging might work as i
> saw some like this - they look better but i dont think they are really
> that useful

I think many people don't like forums, and though I think it's
probably true that we (all?) are bad model users, I might
recommend/suggest that some sort of web-based interface to something
that's email under the hood (e.g. nabble/gname,) might be more
ideal..

Cheers,
sam

--
tycho(ish) @
 garen at tychoish.com
  http://tychoish.com/
  http://criticalfutures.com/
  "don't get it right, get it written" -- james thurber