[FM Discuss] subdomains for booki?

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Wed Feb 23 00:46:29 PST 2011

Hi Adam, hi all,

What locations do we want to use for Booki installs at flossmanuals.net?
 We need to know this to prepare for migrating Finnish to Booki next
weekend. The English install is currently at booki.flossmanuals.net, but
we can't use that for other languages. Aco and I discussed the following

1, Something like booki-fi.flossmanuals.net.

2. A translation of "write" such as write.flossmanuals.net and
kirjoita.flossmanuals.net. The "read" could be a subdomain as well, as
in read.flossmanuals.net and lue.flossmanuals.net. This won't work when
two languages have the same translation for the words read and write.
(For example, "write" is "skriv" in both Swedish and Danish).

3. A path under the main domain of the language as in
fi.flossmanuals.net/booki. This requires using my script-name patches
for Booki.

4. I suppose it would be possible to have Booki in the root of the main
domain as well, and a list of php scripts as exceptions in mod_rewrite.

Also, do we need other subdomains per language? Perhaps
new-fi.flossmanuals.net for testing the new deployment before pointing
the DNS to it.

Regards,
Tuukka